Madelyn looked forward to seeing Jack each morning and evening (as did I). We had warned Madelyn to not to get too attached because he would likely get hit by a car or eaten by our dogs. I tried to convince myself I wasn't getting attached either. One evening as I was returning from my run I noticed a lady sitting near the gutter petting "Jack." I tried to place my claim on "Jack" by telling her we were feedig him, and she soon went on her way. On Friday evening we did not see Jack when we got home, but I put food in his bowl anyway hoping he would return. This morning the food is still in the bowl and "Jack" and his sibling are nowhere to be found. I have a feeling that lady came back and took them home. I know "Jack" will likely have a better home with her and possibly won't have to fend for his life around cat killing dogs, but I have to admit I was getting just as attached as Madelyn if not more so. I told Madelyn that "Jack" is gone and she stuck out her lip and pouted for a second and then went on about her merry little way, if only I could be that carefree. I should know better than to get attached to some animal. Living on a farm I learned quickly that what you love today may very likely be dinner tomorrow (don't worry we did not eat Jack).
Saturday, August 28, 2010
And Like That He was Gone. :(
A couple weeks ago we noticed a kitten living in the gutter across the street. I observed him/her for a few days and noticed there was no mama to be found and he/she was very, very thin. One evening Madelyn and I took post beside the gutter to see if we could get close to the kitty. I brought a bowl of milk to lure the kitty in and before long Madelyn was able to touch the kitten. This ritual went on for a few evenings and before long the kitten became "Jack" (we like to recycle names), and was living in the bushes beside our house and getting a daily dose of cat food. Although he would still venture over to the gutter because as we soon found out he had a sibling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




3 comments:
What an adorable little kitty - I wish him and his sibling well.
I think it is funny (and cute) that you recycle pet names! :)
Don't you still have the one devil cat that you had in your apartment? lol (j/k....he wasn't all that bad)
Will Ryan let her have a kitty? She can come to the "dog farm" any time!! lol
Post a Comment